Saturday 24 August 2013

The Mailbag and the 2/14 Binder

Quickie recap of the Fan Expo: A little higher end than I would have liked, but I still saw familiar faces from the other shows that I was able to hit up, and get some sets completed, some wantlists filled, some unique items and some trade bait. I'll probably be highlighting some of those over the next few weeks off and on.

But today, I'll highlight some of the goodies that showed up over the past week in envelopes of various sizes. Whether in a PWE, or a bubble envelope as part of a zistle trade, 13 new cards are on their way into the binder, along with 3 new faces. I'll start with them.

Age before beauty with these, and I'll head back to 1963 for this card from the TV series combat that featured Vic Morrow. He was probably best known for Combat prior to his death in 1982. It was one of the more infamous ones in Hollywood, as he was decapitated by a helicopter during an accident on the set of the Twilight Zone movie. The incident can be found very easily on youtube if you so desire. The only thing you'd get from it is that he never had a chance, and mercifully, couldn't have even known what hit him.
New face #2 is Timothy Toone. He was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2010 NFL draft, going last overall. He's spent some time bouncing around practice squads, but did get some time on the main roster of the Falcons. He's now with the Saints.
And the final new face for the binder. This card of figure skater Jojo Starbuck comes from an insert set in 2009-10 Upper Deck Series 2 hockey. It's a peculiar insert set that doesn't include any NHLers, but instead various winter Olympians, past & present.
Part of a zistle trade included a bunch of familiar faces in the binder. I'm probably the only person who would actually request a 1988 Topps Card as part of a trade. But, I didn't have this particular 1988 Topps card in the ol' binder.
2 new Richard Hamiltons for the binder. A hit and a base card, the latter being my first Bulls-era card for him.
And from the same base set, the only other guy with current cards in the NBA.
Darius Songaila's total has doubled! WOO-HOO!
And to wrap it up, my second hit for Tank Tyler. As I said before, I love that he signs his nickname instead of his real name. What would you rather have? A card signed by Dave Williams or by Tiger Williams.

And that's 13 new cards looking for binder space!

No comments:

Post a Comment