Wednesday 19 June 2013

Not just common to me!

I recently did a major set building order through justcommons.com. Despite the name, the available cards do include hits. But, when you're building a junk wax era set, getting cards for about 7-10 cents beats the 18 cent minimum from sportlots.

I won't bore you with a whole pile of late 80s cards. Instead, just ones that will go into binders as opposed to set boxes.

This is definitely an interesting perspective for an autograph shot. What really makes it is the alongside the baseballs is the completely random sheet of lined paper in the upper corner of the photo.  I'm kind of disappointed there were no cards being offered towards Charlie.
And with this card, the # of cards I needed for my Blue Jays Frankenset dropped to 1. Just a single, solitary, 1977 O-Pee-Chee card to go. I had no idea Craig Wilson was even in the Blue Jays system. He ended up being shipped to the Pirates as a PTBNL as part of the trade that brought Dan Plesac to Toronto. So, at least we got a great (albeit occasional) member of the grounds crew out of the deal.
Obviously a St. Patrick's Day spring training photo here for Mr. Marcum. I love pitcher cards where the ball appears to be coming right at the camera, but that's secondary here for the oddball uniform.
A nice trio of players for the 'name' portion of the binder. Noochie Varner.
Pork Chop Pough.
And Motor-Boat Jones. All three of whom I spotted on other blogs. All of who I had to find at least one card of for my binders.
And to wrap up a relatively small post, here's a sketch checklist card from the UD Minor league featuring another pretty decent candidate for the names binder - Butch Huskey.

4 comments:

  1. cool thanks for the info. I've gotta checkout justcommons I'm getting a bit tired of doing the auction thing on sportlots and having to pay upwards of $3 for a couple of cards to be sent via PWE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get your purchases over a certain amount, shipping is free. It's a flat $5.00 north of the border, which is still cheaper than much of sportlots.

      Delete
  2. Pork Chop Pough. I'll have to search for that card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hadn't heard of justcommons either. I'll have to check and see if they can help me with my '89 Sportflics set!

    ReplyDelete